All Souls Children's and Youth Choirs exist to enrich the lives of their members with music from the heart that nourishes the soul. As the choirs strive for excellence through dedication and teamwork, their voices bring joy to the singers and to all who listen.
The All Souls Children's and Youth music program is a place where friendships are built and wonderful memories created. It has been a starting point for many budding musicians. And, without a doubt, it's a place of just plain fun. Thanks to the group's annual concert trips, All Souls Children's and Youth Choirs are well-known among Unitarian congregations from San Diego to New York and even in England!
As an extension of the Religious Education department, the Children's and Youth Choir program offers young people not only the highest quality music education, but also opportunities to learn about their own talents, interests, and forms of self-expression, thus fostering personal growth and the development of life skills through travel, intense study, teamwork, and excellence in performance.
Anyone interested in participating is welcome!
We have three choirs to serve our children and youth:
- Cherub Choir: K-3rd grades
- Children's Choir: 4th-7th grades
- Youth Choir: 8th-12th
- Cherub Choir (twice weekly, October-December and February-May): Wednesdays 6-6:45 p.m.
Sunday Mornings during Children's Religious Education Classes
- Children's Choir (twice weekly, September-May): Wednesdays 7-8 p.m.; Sundays 6-7 p.m.
- Youth Choir (once weekly, September-May): Sundays 4:00-6:00 p.m.
*Special rehearsals are called as needed by the director(s). There are also additional rehearsals on Saturdays prior to the Christmas and spring concerts.
- 10:00 and 11:30 a.m. services on the first Sundays of October, February, March and May.
- Festival Sundays: Thanksgiving Sunday, Christmas Eve, Easter, and Flower Communion (Mother’s Day)
- Occasional community performances
- Children's and Youth Choirs Fall Music Camp (this is where singers get to know each other and work with guest musicians in an outdoor setting)
- Youth Choir Regional Weekend
- Children’s & Youth Choirs National or International Spring Trip
In addition to these choirs, we have special vocal and instrumental ensembles that perform throughout the year.
- Attendance at every rehearsal and performance
- Being on time
- Good behavior at all times
- Showing respect for other singers, director and parent volunteers
- A spirit of acceptance toward everyone in the group
- Taking good care of sheet music, folders, and robes
- White, long-sleeved, oxford cloth, button-down collar shirt
- Black dress pants with belt loops (no jeans or corduroys)
- Solid black belt
- Black socks
- Solid black closed-toe & low-heel dress shoes
- The shirt is worn tucked in and no jewelry is to be worn on the outside of the uniform
(Uniforms are required for every performance.)
Choir robes are often worn over the uniform for Sunday morning performances. These are kept at church and are to be returned after performances.
The Children’s and Youth Choir Board consists of parent volunteers who oversee event planning, coordinate trip funding, and assist the choir director. Annual fund-raising events include a pie sale, trivia night and garage sale. Parent support is a vital part of the Children’s and Youth Choir program.
For more information contact the Children's and Youth Choir Director David Smith at email@example.com or 918-747-7536.